Things We Never Got Over by Lucy Score is a bestselling romance novel published in 2022. The story revolves around Naomi Witt, a woman in her thirties who leaves her wealthy fiancé at the altar and heads to a small town in northern Virginia to help her twin sister, Tina. However, upon arriving, she discovers that her sister has disappeared, leaving behind her 11-year-old daughter, Waylay. Naomi takes on the responsibility of caring for her niece while trying to rebuild her own life.
Naomi finds work at the town’s bar, where she meets Knox Morgan, the handsome and wealthy owner. Despite their mutual attraction, both Naomi and Knox are hesitant to pursue a relationship. Knox has become a recluse since winning the lottery, causing a rift between him and his brother Nash, who is the town sheriff. However, he takes a special interest in Naomi and Waylay, ensuring that they have a place to stay.
As Naomi settles into her new life, she makes friends with her neighbors and coworkers. However, tension arises between Knox and Nash when they both become attracted to Naomi. The situation becomes complicated when Nash is shot during a routine traffic stop, but he recovers and respects his brother’s feelings for Naomi.
Naomi’s ex-fiancé shows up at the bar and demands that she return to New York with him. Knox intervenes and punches him out, causing Naomi to grow closer to Knox. However, Knox’s emotional trauma from his lottery win and his difficult relationship with his alcoholic father cause him to resist committing to Naomi.
In the end
Things come to a head when Tina resurfaces, kidnapping Waylay and forcing Naomi to confront her sister’s criminal involvement. Knox and Nash, along with the police, come to Naomi’s aid, and Naomi and Knox eventually adopt Waylay. Five years later, Naomi and Knox face the challenges of parenthood as Waylay goes off to college on a soccer scholarship, and they prepare to raise their two adopted daughters with the help of their friends and family.
Overall, Things We Never Got Over is a compelling story about love, family, and second chances. While it incorporates familiar elements of the romance genre, including the redemptive power of love and the importance of supportive relationships, it also explores more complex themes, such as the psychological effects of sudden wealth and the challenges of adoption.
Buy from Amazon – Buy Now
Quotes from this book
Here are the ten quotes you can learn from “Things we never got over”;
- “There’s a difference between taking care of someone because you love them and taking care of someone because you want them to love you”
- “You’re the one who has to live your life. Don’t apologize to other people for the decisions you make for yourself.”
- “At some point, you have got to stop worrying so much about what everyone else needs and start thinking about what you need.”
- “You get to decide how you show up in this world. No one else gets to dictate to you who you are,”
- “Sooner or later, you have to accept that you’re not responsible for other people’s choices. Worse, sometimes you can’t fix what’s wrong with them.”
- “I’d lost myself while trying to convince someone else that I was what he wanted. I’d forgotten who I was because I’d let someone else take over the definition.”
- “Mistakes were meant to be learned from, overcome. They weren’t meant to destroy.”
- “But I did know that sometimes a bad seed was just a bad seed. No matter what field it was planted in, no matter how it was tended, some just came up rotten.”
- “Baby, you need to stop obsessing about the things you should be doing and make some time for the shit you wanna do.”
- “Words have power. They make people feel things”